Celtic still running away, Week 24 round-up



Celtic maintained their winning run away from home, this week along with the battle for second place ending in a stalemate, Hearts picking up an unlikely away win, and a match being postponed due to bad weather.

Celtic maintained their unbeaten run in the league with a rather simple 4-0 over a Hibs side yet to find their feet under new manager Terry Butcher. In the Sunday lunchtime kick-off at Easter Road. It took the league leaders just nine minutes to strike.  A mix-up in the Hibs defence as Nelson and Forster failed to clear Izaguirre’s long pass – allowing Commons to chest the ball into his path before firing past Williams. Hibs not long after, looked to have been denied a stonewall penalty when Van Dijk clipped James Collins in the area – the appeal fell on deaf ears. Into the second period Stanton and Zoubir had efforts saved by Fraser Forster before Celtic went on to clinch the three points with a further three goals. The second came 13 minutes from time when Virgil Van Dijk smashed in a free-kick, minutes later Teemu Pukki added the third before Commons sealed the win with his second from the penalty spot before the end.

In the battle for second spot, Motherwell and Aberdeen served up a four-goal thriller at Fir Park – drawing 2-2 in North Lanarkshire.  In the first half both sides had their chances, McFadden was foiled by a superb stop from Langfield, meanwhile Barry Robson saw his shot thunder off the post as neither side could take a lead into the break. Minutes into the second half the Steelmen took the lead through defender Stephen McManus who headed home Lionel Ainsworth’s corner, he found himself in acres of space, after poor Aberdeen marking. Dons’ debutant Adam Rooney restored parity 20 minutes later. McGinn’s shot was parried by the Motherwell goalkeeper right into the path of Rooney who made no mistake. Francis-Angol put Motherwell ahead two minutes later he got on the end of Lasley’s cross to slide the ball past Langfield. As it looked like Motherwell were going to take the points Russell Anderson popped up with a last-minute goal to grab his side a point.

Kilmarnock picked up their seven win of the season, against an inconsistent Inverness at Rugby Park. Youngster Lee Ashcroft put Killie in front with 16 minutes on the clock, when his glancing header beat Dean Brill in the Caley Thistle goal. Caley had plenty of efforts Billy McKay missed a few golden chances while Shinnie’s effort went just wide from 30 yards. 16 minutes from time the visitors’ hopes were crushed when Muirhead fed Boyd who dummied Brill before firing home for his 13th goal of the season.

Hearts picked up a win with a 2-1 scoreline against Ross County. They took the lead when Callum Paterson prodded the ball home from two yards, As Smith’s corner was knocked on to the young utility man. The Staggies levelled before the break, Graham Carey’s free-kick was met by the Cameroonian defender Song’o – his header flew past Jamie MacDonald. Hearts won the points with 10 minutes to go Fraser did well to deny Smith’s effort only for Robinson to fire home and send the away fans into a state of delirium.

St Mirren and Partick Thistle played out a 0-0 draw in Paisley. Neither team will be happy as it doesn’t significantly help their battle to avoid the relegation play-off spot.

Dundee United’s home tie with St Johnstone was called off on Monday evening due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hibernian 0-4 Celtic

Motherwell 2-2 Aberdeen

Ross County 1-2 Hearts

St Mirren 0-0 Partick Thistle

Kilmarnock 2-0 Inverness CT

Dundee Utd P-P St Johnstone


Celtic 4-0 Kilmarnock

Hearts 2-1 St Mirren


140122 - Scottish Premiership

Table courtesy of Fifa.com


Click on Jamie’s name to follow him on Twitter