SCOTLAND: Scottish Premiership Week 12 review


The Scottish Premiership, for week 12 had just 13 goals in five matches with one being abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch.

St Mirren A-A Ross County

Ross County fell victim of a second postponement in two successive weeks.

The hosts were two-goals ahead before the break through Paul McGowan and Steven Thompson.

After referee Willie Collum asked the players to leave the pitch for several minutes, the game was eventually called off in the 52nd minute to the fury of the home supporters.

Hearts 0-2 St Johnstone

Hearts looked doomed in their fight against relegation, especially after their latest defeat at home to St Johnstone, who recorded their third win inside a week.

Hearts had the best of the opening stages, Mannus saved their captain Danny Wilson’s header, before Jamie Walker fired wide then young Jason Holt lost his bearings as his shot wildly ended up behind the goal.

The visitors responded as May did well to get himself to the byline before MacDonald saved Hasselbaink’s close-range effort on the line.

However, that was just a warning for the Jambos as St Johnstone took the lead just before the half-hour mark.

Chris Millar’s cross deflected across the Hearts box, there was Hasselbaink with a clinical finish from eight yards out.

Hearts responded through Dylan McGowan, and Hasselbaink should have found the net for the second time before the break.

In a frantic start to the second half, there was a few efforts cleared off the line, and MacDonad had to stop McDonald’s effort before the Saints doubled their advantage.

MacDonald could only parry a Chris Millar shot before May steered the ball home from 15 yards to give St Johnstone the points.

Inverness CT 2-1 Kilmarnock

Terry Butcher’s men got back to winning ways, cutting the gap at the top to five points, also ending Kilmarnock’s sign of resurgence.

It only took Caley seven minutes to gain the lead, when after some good build-up play the ball found its way to Doran whose shot deflected off Clohessy into the net.

Killie forward Kris Boyd had a good effort, although his shot from Tesselaar’s cross, went flying over the crossbar.

Before the interval Michael Gardyne could not capitalise on some hesitant Caley defending, allowing Richie Foran to clear the danger.

A great team move not long after the restart saw the hosts double their lead. Foran released Shinnie, who left Barr standing before curling an effort past Samson.

With 14 minutes left Barr halved the deficit from Clingan’s free-kick. Unfortunately, for Killie they couldn’t find the equaliser after a flurry of late chances.

Celtic 1-1 Dundee Utd

Celtic left it late to snatch a point ahead of their midweek trip to Amsterdam to face Ajax.

Anthony Stokes had the first real effort of note; he volleyed over the crossbar from Mulgrew’s free-kick.

Amido Balde wasted a few opportunities, along with Mackay-Steven and Graham for United before the visitors eventually took the lead.

Stuart Armstrong latched onto Ciftci’s pass before calmly dinking the ball over Forster.

United’s ‘keeper had to be at his best just before the break to deny Forrest and Stokes.

After the restart United were unlucky not to go further in front but Graham spurned the chance.

Going into stoppage time Celtic rescued a point when Mulgrew headed Izaguirre’s delivery past Cierzniak to keep Celtic’s unbeaten run intact.

Motherwell 1-0 Hibs

Motherwell beat managerless Hibs by the odd goal to move joint-second.

In the opening exchanges Hibs, started better with Heffernan putting Kevin Thomson’s cross wide of the post, before the Irishman fired over from a good position.

For Motherwell, Anier forced Williams into a save before the only goal of the game arrived.

Stephen McManus out-jumped McGivern to head home Lionel Ainsworth’s corner. As Hibs bad form continued.

Before the break Scott Roberston for Hibs and Anier both had efforts but neither could find the net

In the second period Sean Hutchinson was sent off for bringing down Heffernan on the edge of the box. Hibs had a late flurry of chances with Paul Heffernan getting the best of them in stoppage time but his effort was saved.

Aberdeen 4-0 Partick Thistle

Aberdeen demolished Partick Thistle in the live Monday night fixture to keep their good run going.

Niall McGinn’s 22-yard free-kick gave the Dons a lead, although it could have been prevented if Stuart Bannigan didn’t duck while standing in the wall; Fox simply had no chance of keeping it out after it had curled over the wall.

Five minutes before the break Calvin Zola doubled the lead, McGinn set Pawlett away, he held the ball up at the byline before drilling the ball into Zola who finished with authority.

After the break Aberdeen continued to dominate and a third goal was always likely to arrive, Hector’s arrowed shot flew past Fox who again with the other two had no chance of stopping it.

The fourth was just the icing on the cake after a very confident Aberdeen display. Hector turned provider as McGinn capped his fine evening heading home. 


Click on Jamie’s name above to follow him on Twitter

Read more of Jamie’s work at

One response to “SCOTLAND: Scottish Premiership Week 12 review

  1. Pingback: Scottish Premiership : week 12 review | Jamie Currie's Blog·

Comments are closed.