SCOTLAND: Scottish Premiership Week 11 review


Week 11 saw Celtic win the Glasgow derby, Motherwell’s good run come to an abrupt halt and a floodlight failure causing the Highland derby to be abandoned.

Ross County A-A Inverness CT

The live Friday night fixture lasted only until half-time, then got abandoned because the flood lights at the Global Energy Arena failed three times. The scoreline was 0-0 and the match will be replayed at a later date

Hibs 0-2 Aberdeen

Two late goals moved Aberdeen up to second place after their win at Easter Road.

Aberdeen started the match the better of the two sides. Bringing Hibs goalkeeper Ben Williams into action as the stopper had to push Mark Reynolds’ shot away. Niall McGinn came close for the Dons as he left Scott Robertson and Ryan McGivern standing before shooting just wide. Just before the half-hour mark, the home side sprung into life, with two chances in a minute. Langfield had to be at his very best to save Paul Heffernan’s effort before Liam Craig’s shot went wide. Aberdeen went close yet again Ryan Jack’s 40-yard run set up Calvin Zola but the big striker could only find the side netting. Hibs hit back but Langfield was equal to Heffernan’s effort from Scott Robertson’s inch-perfect cross.

Aberdeen continued after the break in similar fashion. James McPake had to block Nail McGinn’s goal-bound effort. With the upper hand, Aberdeen came close yet again, Calvin Zola and McGinn fired over when it seemed easier to score. The hosts almost took the lead against the run of play. James Collins got in the way of teammate Rowan Vine’s goal-bound shot. Just seven minutes later Aberdeen made them pay. Wylde dispossessed Lewis Stevenson before finding fellow sub Scott Vernon who beat Williams from the edge of the box. In the 90th minute Wylde turned from provider to scorer as he ran onto Vernon’s pass to shoot low past Williams and seal the win.

Kilmarnock 2-0 Hearts

Kilmarnock got their second win on the bounce after almost certainly confining Hearts to relegation at Rugby Park.

Despite losing the match, the visitors had the first real opportunity on goal. Ryan Stevenson’s curling effort was palmed away by Craig Samson in the Killie goal. Killie then settled into the game and took the lead in the 16th minute. Kris Boyd ran onto the through ball before checking inside ex-Rangers teammate Danny Wilson to fire past MacDonald. Winger Chris Johnston who was back in the side set up Barry Nicholson but his hooked effort went over the crossbar. Both Gardyne and Johnston had efforts superbly saved by MacDonald.

Killie upped the ante at the start of the second half looking for the second goal. MacDonald again had to make a vital stop to deny Clohessy’s near-post shot. Killie got their second through a set-piece Tesselaar’s free-kick was chested down by Boyd before he lobbed MacDonald to make it two. Dale Carrick came close to halving the advantage, and Chris Johnston saw his effort tipped over.

Dundee United 4-0 St Mirren

St Mirren came back down to earth with a bump, being hit with four by Dundee United at Tannadice.

The home side took the lead inside 27 minutes through Nadir Ciftci, the striker outfought two St Mirren defenders then fired past debutant Kello. Seven minutes later Ciftci made it two from the penalty spot. The striker was fouled by Sean Kelly, but got up to fire home.

Just before the hour-mark, youngster Ryan Gauld added a third for United. The impressive Ciftci assisted him before he rifled a shot from the edge of the box into the top corner. Steven Thompson had a chance for St Mirren but could only find Robertson on the line to clear as Thompson had rounded the ‘keeper. Late on United got the fourth goal as Ryan Down set up fellow sub Chris Erskine to seal the easy victory.

St Johnstone 2-0 Motherwell

Motherwell’s recent good run ended on Sunday at McDermaid Park.

St Johnstone had most of the ball in the early stages and they almost made it count. Cregg’s shot curled a shot wide, before Wotherspoon’s near-post header went behind for a corner. John Sutton came close from 10 yards but could not convert Simon Ramsden’s cross. Both Stevie May and Wotherspoon saw their long-range efforts go wide. Gary McDonald then pushed the ball wide after a well-worked set-piece. Wotherspoon’s low free-kick found its way to May but his shot was blocked by McManus.

Four minutes into the second half Stevie May gave St Johnstone a well-deserved lead. McDonald’s effort was expertly clawed away by Nielson the goalkeeper was unlucky that May was on hand to fire the ball home. Motherwell missed a great chance to level when Hutchinson managed to miss from close range. Chris Millar’s effort was pushed away by Nielson but he was left embarrassed as Hasselbaink knocked home to give the hosts the three points.

Partick Thistle 1-2 Celtic

Celtic won the Glasgow derby at Firhill by the odd goal.

The away side took the lead in the 34th minute as Samaras headed home, an Emillio Izaguirre corner, in a hard-fought game; Taylor-Sinclair tested Forster after a well-worked thistle move. Pukki went close from 18 yards and Kallum Higginbotham responded but fired wide.

Doolan equalised as he coolly slotted past Forster in the 67th minute. Before both Higginbotham and Izaguirre went close. In the 75th minute Amido Balde restored Celtic’s lead. Forster had to make a few good saves to deny Thistle towards the end, but they held on.


20130902 - Scottish Premiership 


Click on Jamie’s name above to follow him on Twitter

Read more of Jamie’s work at

One response to “SCOTLAND: Scottish Premiership Week 11 review

  1. Pingback: Scottish Premiership : Week 11 review | Jamie Currie's Blog·

Comments are closed.