SCOTLAND: Scottish Premiership Week 10 review


Week 10 saw Motherwell come from behind to keep up their good form, Celtic draw in the capital and Kilmarnock win their first game of the season.

Hibs 1-1 Celtic

Celtic could only manage a point against a dogged Hibs side at Easter Road in the lunchtime kick-off on Saturday

Celtic who had problems in the full-back areas, fell behind in the 18th minute as Heffernan slotted home a calm finish after Kevin Thomson had won a tackle with Scott Brown in midfield, even though the Irish striker looked to be a yard offside as the ball broke to him. Kris Commons should have levelled but could only lob the ball over the bar onto the top of the net after being put through by Van Dijk. Georgios Samaras could only fire at Williams’ legs from 16 yards as Celtic looked for the equaliser. A moment of madness from the Hibs goalkeeper allowed substitute Forrest to round him, before setting up Pukki, only for the Finnish striker’s effort to be blocked by a McGivern tackle.

Celtic came out in determined mood after the restart, Kayal and Stokes forced Williams to make two very good stops. Zoubir – Hibs main outlet in a half that they spent under the cosh set up Liam Craig, he could only shot straight at Forster. With left-back McGivern off the park receiving treatment, Celtic took full advantage. Forrest left Liam Craig standing before finding the far corner with curling shot, minutes later Williams made sure that the points would be shared as he denied Forrest with an excellent save.

Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee Utd

Aberdeen grabbed the victory at home against New Firm rivals Dundee Utd at Pittodrie.

It was United who started the better, Goodwille found himself one-on-one with Langfield but appeared to be wrongly flagged offside. Moments later the Mark Reynolds had to be alert to deflect John Rankin’s low effort. Stuart Armstrong was next to go close for the visitors, but his left-foot strike just went wide. That was the wake-up call Aberdeen needed; Ryan Gauld was caught sleeping as Hayes nipped in ahead of him to get onto Gunning’s clearance, before forcing Cierzniak into a very decent save. Shaughnessy headed Ryan Jack’s free-kick delivery on into the path of Niall McGinn, the ex-Celtic man failed to convert at the far post. As the game became stretched as half-time beckoned, Keith Watson sent his scissor kick just wide after Gunning’s knockdown.

Aberdeen looked fired up after half-time, they took the lead just nine minutes after the restart. Pawlett made the run through the heart of United’s midfield before finding McGinn the Ulsterman’s first-time cross was was converted by Zola. Dundee United came back straight away; Ciftci and Armstrong had efforts that went wide. Langfield had to be quick off his line to deny Goodwille. For all their good efforts, the visitors could not find the equaliser.

Kilmarnock 2-0 Ross County

Kilmarnock finally got their first win of the season after, beating Highland side Ross County at Rugby Park.

It to the hosts just 17 minutes to take the lead in this one, Gardyne was causing havoc for the County defence, Scott Boyd and Brian McLean could not clear their lines, they were punished as Kris Boyd poked home. Boyd had an effort which hit the underside of the crossbar, then he fired just over as another ball into the box was not dealt with by the Staggies’ defence. Darren Bar almost found the net from Barry Nicholson’s inswinging free-kick, but McLean who didn’t have the easiest of afternoons cleared from under his own crossbar. Boyd missed another excellent chance, after getting onto Gardyne’s pass he could only fire wide. Kovacevic thought he had grabbed the equaliser but his effort was denied after Samson gathered his composure after slipping. With 19 minutes left Jack Irvine fired home the clincher from Barry Nicholson’s short free-kick to seal the three points.

Motherwell 2-1 Hearts

Motherwell kept up their good form as they came from behind to beat a plucky Hearts side at Fir Park.

In a goal-less first half, there was a few chances for both sides, John Sutton came close to giving Motherwell the lead against his old side, but his header drifted wide of the Nielson’s goal. Vigurs had two efforts on goal but could not find the net, the midfielder then set up Sutton 12 yards out but MacDonald was equal to the Englishman’s effort. Just before half-time, Jamie Walker was clean through, his effort was well saved by Nielson before Darren Smith saw his follow-up effort deflected wide.

Motherwell started the half better that man Sutton headed wide again before, making sure MacDonald had to tip another effort over the bar. For all Motherwell’s pressure, it was the hosts who took a shock lead in the 62nd minute. Ryan Stevenson picked the ball up on the edge of the Motherwell before a couple of stepovers then he fired the ball low past Nielson. The Jambo’s joy only lasted a mere five minutes. Motherwell sub Craig Moore scored with his first touch. McKay’s poor knockdown landed at the feet of the youngster and his right-foot shot went past MacDonald to equalise. Motherwell then grabbed the winner seven minutes from time Iain Vigurs’ corner was met by the head of Hutchison to make sure Motherwell’s good run continued.

St Mirren 4-3 St Johnstone

St Mirren came out on top in the all-saints seven-goal thriller at St Mirren Park.

The home side took an early lead, Paul McGowan found Kenny McLean, the midfielder calmly finished to give the Buddies the advantage. The lead only lasted 9 minutes as St Johnstone’s MacLean levelled, Hasselbaink and May’s link-up play was outstanding, Hasselbaink’s shot-come-cross was stabbed home by MacLean. Just before half-time, Dilo had to pull off a magnificent save to deny Hasselbaink a certain goal.

St Mirren went ahead for the second time on the hour-mark, McGowan latched onto Lee Mair’s pass become side-footing the ball past Mannus from 10 yards. Just one minute later the visitors were level again; good running from Chris Millar before he set up Hasselbaink who fired hard and low past Dilo. St Mirren the got two penalties, Gary McDonald fouled Kenny McLean, McLean’s skipper Jim Goodwin stepped up but saw his penalty saved by Mannus. The second penalty saw St Johnstone defender Frazer Wright being sent off for his last-man foul on McGowan. This time McLean stepped up and converted to give St Mirren the lead yet again. St Johnstone equalised again when Rory Fallon appeared at the back post to tap home Stevie May’s cross. In a pulsating match the winner came with one minute left to play. St Mirren played a deep free-kick into the box Darren McGregor knocked it down and Steven Thompson hooked the ball over Mannus to give the Buddies the victory.

Inverness CT 1-2 Partick Thistle

Second-placed Inverness came unstuck as they lost at home to Partick Thistle on the Sunday lunchtime fixture in the Highlands.

The home side started bright Doran went close with a free-kick then, Greenhalgh hit the post. Although it was the Jags who took the lead Kris Doolan firing James Craigen’s cutback past Brill. Thistle playing on the counter-attack went close on to occasions to doubling the lead. Craigen shot wide and Stephen O’Donnell also suffered the same fate. Just before half-time was the major talking point when Inverness thought they had equalised. Doran found the net from Inverness’ short corner but the referee disallowed it because he insisted the corner was initially played in by Ross Draper, which in his opinion had no restarted play, which left the home side furious.

Two minutes after the restart Inverness did get their equaliser as Warren headed a powerful effort past Fox. Foran and Draper both had efforts to give the home side the lead, but they were stung with seven minutes left. Dean Brill’s mistake allowed Doolan to score from a yard and take the three points back to Glasgow.


20131022 - Scottish Premiership 


Click on Jamie’s name above to follow him on Twitter

Read more of Jamie’s work at