SCOTLAND: Scottish Premiership Week 4 review


Goals, goals, goals was the order of this weekend in the Scottish Premiership both Inverness and Celtic lost their 100% records while Ross County and Dundee United recorded their first wins of the season.


Both sides lost their 100% record in this fixture but it made for a cracking match with four goals equally shared between the two sides which keep Inverness top of the table.

Celtic made several changes ahead of their must win Champions League return leg on Wednesday; the home side almost took the lead when one of those changes Tony Watt was one-on-one with Dean Brill the ICT ‘keeper yet the young forward fired his shot straight at Brill. Celtic and Watt were made pay for missing that chance when Doran curled a superb effort past Forster 14 minutes in to give the Highland side the lead. Celtic searched for the equaliser but again Watt was foiled by a Brill stop and Nigerian defender Efe Ambrose headed just over. The home side were again to rue those missed chances when Richie Foran doubled the lead for Inverness getting on the end of a Billy McKay over-head kick. Celtic halved the arrears 3 minutes before half-time when Mulgrew converted an Izaguirre cut-back.

Celtic piled on the pressure looking for the equaliser again after the break Amido Balde headed over from a Watt cross as the striker is still searching for his 1st Celtic goal; Inverness had a claim for a penalty when Doran went down under a slight push in the back from Van Dijk but referee Thomson waved away the claim. Celtic got their equaliser nine minutes from time when Brown played in Adam Matthews to fire past Brill, Lustig came close with a headed effort but both sides got a share of the points.


Dundee United got their 1st win of the season when they battered Tayside rivals 4-0 at Tannadice.

United started the game on fire virtually winning the game within the first 30 minutes with 3 goals. It took the home side just 4 minutes to take the lead – Keith Watson cut inside from the right and his curling effort deflected off of defender Scobbie to deceive Banks in goal for St Johnstone to give the Tangerines the lead. St Johstone almost levelled when a well worked move was headed inches over by In-form striker Stevie May. St Johnstone were made pay for that when a free-kicked to the back-post headed on by Butcher was headed past Banks from Goodwille- scoring his 1st goal since re-joining the club on loan from Blackburn. Goodwille came close to grabbing his 2nd of the afternoon only to see his deflected effort acrobatically tipped over by Banks. The 3rd goal and came just five minutes before the interval, young left-back Robertson fed McKay- Steven who poked the ball under the out-rushing Banks to give the home side a commanding lead at the break.

Minutes after the restart Hasselbaink should’ve given St Johnstone a glimmer of hope but saw his effort saved by the feet of United’s Polish ‘keeper Cierznak. Armstrong then added the killer 4th goal- again by the aid of a deflection, McKay-Steven’s lay-off was hit goalwards by Armstrong and he saw his effort deflect over Banks into the net. Steven McLean almost pulled one back for the visitors, but his shot sailed over the bar, Ciftic then had two late efforts to score a 5th for United but was thwarted by Banks on each occasion.


Aberdeen fell to their 2nd consecutive loss as their dismal run at Tyncastle continued, losing 2-1 on Saturday against 10 man Hearts.

It was the away side to have the 1st effort on goal; Scott Vernon beat the offside trap but proceeded to tamely fire his effort straight at MacDonald in the home goal. Both sides went close with headers – one from Dylan McGowan for Hearts and Reynolds for Aberdeen, before Hearts took the lead. That came 18 minutes in Jamie Walker fired a low shot past Weaver in the Aberdeen goal, with the visiting defence slow to get out and block the shot. Aberdeen had 4 efforts before the break to level but none were taken – Vernon was clean through again but fired wide, McGinn and Pawlett both failed along with two headers from Scott Robertson to see the home side lead at the half-way stage.

Aberdeen substitute Calvin Zola who came on for Vernon, made an instant impact, McHattie brought him down inside the box to see a penalty be awarded and a red card brandished in McHattie’s direction. Niall McGinn converted the penalty to level with 22 minutes left. Peter Pawlett was then booked for diving under the challenge of Jamie Walker, though 2 minutes from time Hearts got the winner, Weaver came out and missed the long free-kick into the box which left 17-year-old McGhee to head home his 1st senior goal, Aberdeen came close with a Josh Magennis effort then Zola was denied a spot-kick which made sure Hearts ran out victors.


Kille are still searching for their 1st win of the season after being beaten at home by under-pressure Hibs 2-1.

Hibs thought they had opened the scoring here through Rowan Vine following a lovely move including Collins and Tudur-Jones but the big striker saw his effort ruled out for offside. Midfielder Barry Nicholson opened his Kilmarnock account with a lovely left-footed volley from around 35 yards to give the home side the advantage. Killie almost doubled the lead before the break but Heffernan flicked a Clohessy crossed over the bar.

Just a few minutes into the 2nd period Hibs levelled through Liam Craig, Rowan Vine found space on the right before crossing for Craig to head past Samson, Killie almost restored the lead but Mark Stewart saw his effort pushed round the post by Williams. Killie again came close Barry Nicholson’s corner was laid into the path of Darren Barr but his effort flew over, Samson then had to pull off two saves in two minutes – first from Tudur-Jones then a header from Michael Nelson on the line. Hibs took the lead with 10 minutes to go, a Barr mistake allowed Craig to nip in and lob Samson to get his 2nd of the match, Chris Johnson blasted over from 10 yards when he should have scored but Hibs held on for all 3 points.


Motherwell got their 1st win of the season beating Partick Thistle 1-0 through a John Sutton goal in the 1st half.

Motherwell were well on top in the 1st half 1st in the 13th minute Francis-Angol’s goalbound volley from the edge of the box forced Fox to pull off a good save, just seven minutes later Motherwell had the lead Francis-Angol again proving dangerous played the ball into the path of John Sutton as the Englishman notched his 1st goal of the season. Thistle almost found themselves 2 goals down Anier’s shot was denied by Fox again as the ‘Well lead at the break.

Just after the restart Anier sent another shot wide of the goal while, Isaac Osbourne stung the palms of Lee Hollis. James McFadden was next to threaten Fox, put through by Sutton his 20 yard effort went just wide. 67 minutes in it was the turn of Lasley to make Fox work after some good work by Anier, Thistle then created a few chances of their own as they pushed for the leveller, Stephen O’Donnell failed to control a cross in the box which was cleared, ex-Motherwell man Ross Forbes had a deflected effort but it was easy enough for Hollis to deal with, Higginbotham another ex-Motherwell man has a shot blocked and then Lawless fired wide from 18 yards out. Baird and Balatoni were next to fail, Baird from inside the Motherwell box fired straight at Hollis and Balatoni’s shot from close-range went wide as Motherwell held on.


Ross County got their 1st points on the board as St Mirren are left looking for their 1st win after being comprehensively beaten 3-0 at Dingwall.

It didn’t take County long to take the lead just 9 minutes in, Stuart Kettlewell picked up the ball in midfield before continuing his run and unleashing a thunderbolt from 20 yards past Cornell to give the hosts’ the lead, 24 minutes in Rocco Quinn was felled in the box and Brittain who missed the spot-kick, tucked home the rebound to give the home side the lead at the interval.

St-Mirren rarely troubled, Kenny MacLean’s poor effort was the closest they came to getting on the scoresheet, in another very disappointing afternoon for the Buddies – who will now be looking nervously over their shoulder at Hearts who are only 9 points behind. The game was sealed 12 minutes into the 2nd period as Brittain got his 2nd and County’s 3rd he picked up the ball in space from a corner and with two touches to set himself fired the ball past Cornell to complete the scoring.


20130826 - Scottish Premiership 


Click on Jamie’s name above to follow him on Twitter

Read more of Jamie’s work at

One response to “SCOTLAND: Scottish Premiership Week 4 review

  1. Pingback: Scottish Premiership : Week 4 Review | Jamie Currie's Blog·

Comments are closed.